Background Eraser Tool
The Background Eraser Tool clears content of background layer to transparency:
- In the Toolbox, select the Background Eraser Tool.
- Choose brush size and style*.
- Choose in Layers palette Background.
- The "Sampling" gadget in the Options bar allows to select one of three erasing modes:
- "Continuous" (default method) allows to
- "Once" allows to erase only color you first click on. For example, if you start a stoke on a red area the tool erases only red pixels.
- "Background Swatch" only allows erasing pixels that contain current background color.
- Tolerance gadget sets the tool's sensitivity.
- Limits defines range of the tool: all over image (Discontiguous), only adjacent areas (Contiguous) or only inside pixels (Find Edges).
- Protect Foreground Color option disallows erasing pixels that contain current foreground color.
Tip. Just in case you didn't know, the Background Eraser tool is also available in Photoshop Elements that is way cheaper version.
And if you believe, Photoshop Elements lacks some other important feature, be sure to visit this page.