Here is an alternative method of Black&White convertion.
- Open the "Selections" dialog and double-click the "RGB" line in the Channels list. This loads the image luminosity (lighter areas) as selection.
- Invert the selection [Shift+Ctrl+I].
- Create at the document foreground a "solid fill" layer (Layer > New Fill Layer > Solid Color). This converts the selection to mask of the "Color Fill" layer.
- Create a white "solid fill" layer behind the black one. This hides all the color layers behind it.
- Click on the foreground layer's mask and adjust its contrast (Enhance > Adjust Lighting > Brightness/ Contrast).